Ofsted: The school provides a very safe and secure learning environment
A A A A

Product Design - Key Stage 3

Design and Technology Years 7 through 9

Design and Technology is an innovative, creative and above all practical subject in which pupils study the design process. The process for this is as follows:

  • Creating a design brief based upon given criteria
  • Conducting research tasks and planning
  • Analysing the research to create their own design criteria or specification
  • Generating Ideas/Designs
  • Evaluating these to come up with a design proposal or proposals
  • Manufacturing/Making
  • Evaluation of all aspects of the process

Pupils are taught in a modular manner. Each year is split into 3 or 4 workshops to study the core National Curriculum areas of study. These are:

  • Working with Resistant Materials
  • Food Technology
  • Electronics and CAD/CAM
  • Graphic Media/Products

Each pupil will experience the different areas listed above in depth throughout years 7 to 9 in order to give them an informed choice when choosing their options in Year 10. Currently these are AQA GCSEs in Food Technology and Product Design and BTEC Level 2 Construction (carpentry).
Pupils studying the food area will be expected to bring their own ingredients, and cooking will take place on average one hour per week.
Materials aprons and Food aprons are both available from the department.
Further information on these areas are available from any of the DT staff.

Product Design - GCSE


Course - AQA 4557

This course offers the opportunity to work with a wide range of materials in order to design a wide and varied range of products. All students will have the opportunity to work with Wood, Metal, Plastics, and incorporate Electronics into their designs.

The option exists for well motivated students to introduce an element of textile work into the subject also. The general approach of the course is that the product is designed using the best possible material solution that we can arrive at.

Coursework skills, Practical outcomes and Examination theory work are all taught in Year 10. In Year 11 the pupils will complete their full coursework project, which consists of a 20 page A3 design folio, and a practical outcome. Theory is revisited also in Year 11, with particular emphasis on the Environmental and Sustainability issues that are faced by Product designers in the modern age. 60% of the GCSE grade is awarded based upon the quality of the final coursework project. The remaining 40% is by means of a written exam. The subject requires a steady level of determination throughout the two year course. It is difficult, but very rewarding if approached in the right manner.

Further information is available from the head of department.

Product Design - A Level

For more information please see the Sixth Form Prospectus

GCE AS/A level Product Design (3d design)

This is an AQA examination board course that has been offered since 2008. There are four units of study over the two years with each module being worth 25% of the A2 grade (50% of the AS grade). The units bread down as follows:

PROD 1 (AS) - Materials, Components and Systems
PROD 2 (AS) Product Development
PROD 3 (A2)- Product Development 2
PROD 4 (A2)- Design and Manufacture

Unit 1 is a theory based examination which can currently be sat in both January and June of the AS year, although this is subject to change under current Ofqual proposals.

Unit 2 is a Product Development unit where pupils set their own Design Brief using an external client then follow a process similar to that at GCSE, but obviously in far greater depth and specificity.

Unit 3 is an Industrially focussed Product Study and Development unit requiring students to build on the skills learnt in both AS level units to Design and make a product that could be industrially manufactured and marketed.

Unit 4 is an external exam sat in June of the A2 year, covering theory aspects from the entire course, but with a specific emphasis on Product Manufacturing concepts.

The course is taught to both Year 12 and 13 at the same time allowing peer coaching to take place. In the 2012/13 academic year, we are the only school in the Learning Partners consortium to offer Product Design at AS level, and we have uptake from schools outside of the consortium including Loreto College and Roundwood Park.

It is a high demand, high intensity and high reward course. Further information is available from the Head of Department.

Product Design - Useful Links