Design & Technology
Above all else we aim to instil a lifelong love of all things Design & Technology, we aim to encourage students to pursue a career within the subject area and enable students to develop an understanding of the specialised technical tools, processes and techniques needed to allow them to access further study or careers in Design & Technology.
A Townsend student who studies Design and Technology should be a confident and independent learner who aspires to be the best they can be without limitations. Townsend’s DT students should be creative thinkers, adept at solving problems and show aspiration when developing their solutions. Our students should work smarter, think bigger and aim higher in all of their work outcomes and will be the next generation of creators and innovators.
Design & Technology students at Townsend Church of England School will use an iterative design approach to widen their understanding of a variety of materials and manufacturing processes through a series of design and make projects. Students will develop knowledge and skills that will enable them to create imaginative solutions to real world problems.
Design and Technology is a subject that encourages students to use their creativity and imagination to design and make products that solve real world problems within a variety of contexts. Students will need to consider the needs, wants and values of themselves and others. Design and technology gives students the opportunity to draw upon disciplines such as mathematics, science, engineering, computing and art.
Students in Year 7 & 8 will have one lesson per week in both Food and Design and Technology.
Programme of Study
Students will learn:
- To use research and exploration to identify user needs
- To identify and solve design problems and how to reformulate problems given to them
- To develop specifications
- Use a variety of approaches to generate creative ideas
- Develop and communicate design ideas
- To select from and use specialist tools, technique, processes, equipment and machinery
- To select from and use a range of materials, components and ingredients, taking into account their properties
- To analyse the work of past and present professionals
- To investigate new and emerging technologies
- To test, evaluate and refine ideas against a specification
- To understand developments in design and technology, its impact on individuals, society and the environment
- To understand and use the properties of materials and performance of structural elements to achieve functioning solutions
- To understand how more advanced mechanical systems used in their products enable changes in movement and force
During food modules students will learn how to cook as well as apply the principles of nutrition and healthy eating.
During each module students will be assessed in two ways.
- Practical assessment: In each module students will complete a design and make activity. The practical outcome of this activity will be assessed.
- End of Module Assessment: At the end of each module students will complete a written assessment in a lesson.
- Students will be given one home learning activity per week, either in food or DT which will be set on google classroom.
- As part of their homework students will be asked to prepare ingredients they will need for their food lessons.
- Ingredients lists for the whole module will be given to students and set on google classroom at the start of the year. .
Where can Design Technology take you?
- GCSE Design and Technology
- GCSE Food Preparation and Nutrition
- Level 1/2 Technical Award in Engineering
- A Level Design and Technology: Product Design
- Vocational Qualifications in areas such as building, computing, construction, design, engineering, fashion, manufacturing and textiles
- Apprenticeships in areas such as building, CAD, construction, engineering, fashion and textiles, graphic design, manufacturing and planning
- Degree courses in areas such as architecture, design and engineering
Many exciting careers require the practical and problem-solving skills that D&T provides and the demand for people in these areas of work is growing.